Table of Contents
Guidance and Counselling Unit
The Guidance and Counselling Unit (G and C) was first introduced into the second cycle level of Ghana’s educational system in November, 1976 and the basic level in April, 1982. The objective for the establishment of the Unit is to ensure the total wellbeing of students in the overall development.
The priority programme of the Unit is the Safe Schools Programme implemented by the Ghana Education Service. The Safe Schools Programme has an objective to eradicate all forms of violence against children from our schools, thereby providing a safe, secure and enabling environment for teaching and learning.
Did You Know, The G&C Unit
- Build confidence and self-esteem of all students to enable them work toward meeting their full potential within the requirements of school curriculum.
- Work in collaboration with students, parents/guardians, and staff to identify students who need support and to continuously assess and monitor both social and emotional progress and difficulties.
- Ensure all students have the social and emotional skills necessary for a smooth transition between grade levels.
- Liaise with outside agencies and/or specialists when deemed appropriate.
- Support staff to develop appropriate in-class strategies.
- Essentially, delivers a guidance programme focused on three (3) key themes; Career/vocational issues, academic/educational issues and personal-social issues.
Did you know:
- The Unit at the headquarters is the coordinating point for pre-tertiary guidance and counselling in the country.
- The Unit is headed by a Director and assisted by two (2) Programme Officers, a Research Officer and an Administrative Officer.
- There are 16 Regional Coordinators responsible for coordinating guidance and counselling in the 16 regions of the country. All Metropolitan, Municipal and District directorates have a coordinator responsible for the delivery of guidance and counselling at that level.
- G and C delivery at the school level (basic and SHS) is led by the School G and C Coordinator. The Coordinator shall lead the planning, coordination and implementation of all activities in the school in collaboration with the school Head and other members of staff whose services may be required.