Does knust offer lab technician
The health sector remains the largest sector of operation for laboratory technicians. They work mainly as medical laboratory technicians in hospitals and private medical research laboratories. In other sectors like agriculture, biochemistry, and food processing, laboratory technicians play roles in running laboratories in which research work is done.
Table of Contents
KNUST Medical Laboratory Technology
Medical laboratory science professionals, often called medical laboratorians, are vital healthcare detectives, uncovering and providing laboratory information from laboratory analyses that assist physicians in patient diagnosis and treatment, as well as in disease monitoring or prevention (maintenance of health).
The Department runs the BSc Medical Laboratory Technology program, which started some 10 years ago, and produces professional Biomedical Science graduates, through regular lectures, extensive bench-based laboratory training, tutorials, and seminars.
Six batches of graduates have passed out of this department; some are contributing their quota to the health delivery system, and others are pursuing professional Biomedical Sciences graduate programs in the university and overseas.
Graduates come out with competent skills in Biomedical Science and engineering which make them diverse and fit in any field of work they find themselves.
BSc. MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENCE
The objectives of the programme are to produce Medical Laboratory Scientists who are able to perform general laboratory investigations, communicate results and manage resources under minimum supervision.
This is a four-year programme leading to the award of BSc Medical Laboratory Science degree. Candidates must have either:
- Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSCE) aggregate 24 or better or West African Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) with aggregate 36 or better. Applicants shall be required to have at least credit passes in three core subjects, namely: English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science and at least three credit passes in General Science programme (Chemistry, Biology, Physics/Elective mathematics)
- Holders of Certificate in Medical Laboratory Science/HND in laboratory science from a recognized educational institution can enroll into year 2 after passing an entrance examination and interview.
- Holders of Diploma and Higher National Diploma (HND) in Medical Laboratory Science from a recognized educational institution can enroll into year three after passing an entrance examination and an interview.
- Mature applicants must be at least 25 years at the time of admission and must possess either five credits at GCE O-Level including English language and Mathematics and at least two passes at the A-level (excluding general paper) in the General Science programme (Chemistry, Biology, Physics/elective mathematics) and must pass an entrance examination and interview.
- Foreign students may be considered for admission if they hold qualifications equivalent to those stated above and are proficient in English Language.
- Have satisfied any other requirement of the Department, Faculty, and College Board.
The class of degree for undergraduate programme shall be determined by the following Cumulative Weighted Averages:
First Class – 70 or above
Second Class (Upper Division) – 60-69.99
Second Class (Lower Division) – 50-59.99
- Self-employed via the establishment of private laboratory or selling laboratory reagents and equipment.
- Employed in government hospitals including primary health and referral centers and various types of private health facilities.
- Employed in food and drug agencies such as the Food and Drug Authority, quality control, and toxicological unit of the pharmaceutical company.
- Work in the research unit of a university and the diploma training institutions.
Work with the forensic laboratory of the police or criminal investigation departments, veterinary laboratories, industrial laboratories, etc.