The University of Ghana is currently offering distance education Programs where students are provided with regular face-to-face interactions on It is the vision of the School of Continuing and Distance Education to pursue academic programs and activities towards the realization of the potential growth that exists for investing in the expansion of adult, continuing and distance education program which would extend the reach of the University to student populations in formats which the traditional face-to-face classroom learning cannot provide.
It is in the light of this vision that the Department of Distance Education has the mission of delivering the academic program of the University in the distance mode to create access for qualified applicants who will otherwise not get admitted into on-campus program as a result of limited space.
The mission of the Department of Distance Education will be accomplished through the following strategic goals :
- Widen access to University of Ghana’s academic program through technology-mediated learning Mount marketable academic program that will be attractive to our clientele Harness the potential of cutting edge educational technology that will reduce the space between the lecturer and the distance learner.
- Provide students’ support systems that will maintain high retention rate among distance learners of the University.
It is the vision of the school of Continuing and Distance Education. The Department is working on putting in administrative systems that will improve the delivery of the distance education program. Plans are underway to mount more market-driven courses and provide tools that will enhance the academic work of students at a distance.
The following University of Ghana Distance programs are available for the 2022/2023 academic year:
BACHELOR OF ARTS
- Political Science, Sociology and Information Studies
- Economics, Sociology and Psychology
- Psychology, Sociology and Information Studies
- Adult Education and Human Resource Studies, Psychology, Information Studies
- BACHELOR OF ARTS IN ADMINISTRATION
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN ADMINISTRATION
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN NURSING (Not available to WASSCE applicants)
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- Diploma in Public Administration
- Diploma in Adult Education
- Diploma in Youth and Development
- University of Ghana distance learning fees
Distance learning fees differ for Ghanaian and foreign students
- Humanities GHC 259
- Science/agriculture/administration GHC 3
- Applied sciences GHC 355
For foreign students per academic year;
- Science students $ 5797
- Humanities $ 5,297
Distance Learning at the University of Legon
This program is based at the Institute of Adult Education, Legon
Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Bachelor of Science in Administration (B.Sc. Admin.) at Level 2 only.
Courses offered under the Bachelor of Arts Program at Level 1 are: Economics, Geography and Resource Development, Linguistics, Psychology, Sociology and History.
At Level 200 the Courses are Economics, Geography and Resource Development, Linguistics, Psychology, Sociology, Information Studies, Social Work, and B.Sc. (Administration).
Courses are delivered through supported distance education. There will be periodic meetings with course tutors at designated Study Centers.