The Office of the University of Ghana (UG) Learning Centres. The Office is one of the three departments under the School of Continuing and Distance Education to coordinate all the activities of the eleven (11) Learning Centres dotted across the country.
The eleven University of Ghana Learning Centres are Accra, Bolgatanga, Cape Coast, Koforidua, Kumasi, Sekondi/Takoradi, Sunyani, Tamale, Tsito/Ho, Tema and Wa. The UG Learning Centres are headed by Coordinators who are senior members of the University of Ghana, who oversees activities including tutorials at their centres to the Distance Education students, continuing professional development programmes for the youth and adults, non-formal programmes and community engagement. The UG Learning Centres carry the presence of the University in their respective regions.
The Office of UG Learning Centres adopts the vision of the School of Continuing and Distance Education which is to pursue academic programmes and activities towards the realisation of the potential growth that exists for investing in the expansion of adult, continuing and distance education programmes which would extend the reach of the University to student and adult populations in formats which the traditional face-to-face classroom cannot provide.
The mission of the Office is to help develop the UG Learning Centres into centres of excellence that offer high intellectual ambiance for students and adults and also promotes opportunities for community service for the development of the people in the ten regions of Ghana.
- Increase the number of students at the Learning Centres through effective and efficient delivery of Distance Education programmes and other programmes that the centres may introduce through aggressive marketing strategies.
- Promote the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) as cutting-edge strategy in teaching and learning at the centres.
- Encourage the development and teaching of online and hybrid courses at BA and MA levels.
- Strengthen tutorials and student support services in the Learning Centres in collaboration with the Head of the Department of Distance Education.
- Establish links with organisations and professional bodies in the regions to provide continuous professional development programmes and training for their staff and members.
- Develop the human resource of faculty and staff of UG Learning Centres through periodic assessment of training needs.
- Promote teaching, research and publication, and community engagement as well as explore ways to attract research grants both locally and externally to the Learning Centres.
- Plan and establish procedures for communication, dissemination of information and timelines for programme review and reporting systems.
- Create a strong database on students’ demographic profiles, courses selected and retention rates in each of the Learning Centres.
- Work with the School’s finance officer to address the resource needs (space, equipment, vehicles, financial support) of the Learning Centres through regular preparation of budgets and monthly financial returns.
Postal Address: P.O Box LG31, Legon, Accra, Ghana
Telephone Numbers: 233 (0)302-501789, 233 (0)302-500391, 233 (0)302-939402