The word, “Grade” comes from the Latin word, “gradus” which the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines as a mark indicating a degree of accomplishment in school.
Each and every student has the mindset of succeeding in their field of study hence the need to study the grading system of their institutions.
The grading system for every educational level differs.
In the Junior High level, the grading was numeric which was; 1 to 9 while the Senior High level was a mixture of numbers and letters which was; A1 to F9.
The grading system in the tertiary differs from university to university.
The grading system of University Of Ghana(UG) is quite different from that of Kwame Nkrumah University Of Science and Technology (KNUST), University Of Health and Allied Sciences(UHAS), Ghana Institute Of Journalism(GIJ), University Of Developmental Studies(UDS), just to mention but a few.
We will be studying about the grading system of the University Of Cape Coast.
University of Cape Coast is one of Ghana’s prominent universities. It was ranked as the 298th university out of 1,300 in the world by QS World University Ranking 2021. It is also the 4th topmost university in Africa.
This ranking of UCC makes it the best place to pursue your tertiary education.
Let us find out what makes them one of the best universities in Ghana.
I know that their grading system plays a great role in that regard.
The University of Cape Coast Student Portal is where the students access their results.
Their result is a synthesis of Continuous Assessments and End of Semester Examinations.
Team works, research works, presentations, term papers, assignments, et cetera are the few activities that make up the continuous assessments of UCC students. Two continuous assessments are given per course in each semester.
60% is rewarded for end of semester examinations while the continuous assessment takes the remaining 40% so as to make a cumulative mark of 100%.
On their website at ucc.edu.gh, the management gave a detailed summary of their grading system which can be seen below.
The duration of end-of-semester examinations is determined by the credit weighting of the course as follows:
|CREDIT WEIGHING||DURATION OF EXAMINATION|
|One-Credit Course||1-1½ hours|
|Two-Credit Course||1½-2 hours|
|Three-Credit Course||2-3 hours|
|Practical Courses||2-3 hours|
UCC Grading Scale
The University uses letter grades and corresponding numerical weightings which reflect the quality of performance. Total raw scores (combination of continuous assessment and end-of-semester examination) are converted according to the following scheme:
|RAW SCORE||GRADE||GRADE POINT||INTERPRETATION|
Other Grades Interpretations.
Audit – The grade point is zero.
Incomplete (IC) – A student is graded IC when he/she misses one or more components of the assessment.
1. It is the responsibility of students to ensure that all ICs are rectified.
2. An IC should be rectified within 2 weeks after the release of end-of-semester examinations results.
3. An IC not rectified after the deadline will be converted to the corresponding grade.
Display of Results
End-of-Semester examination results shall be posted in students’ portals before the re-opening date of the following semester.
All continuous assessment results shall be displayed on the departmental notice boards two(2) weeks before the start of end-of-semester examinations.
Computation of Grade Point Average (GPA) and Cumulative Grade Point Average (CCPA).
|CODE||DESCRIPTION||CREDIT POINT(CP)||LETTER GRADE||GRADE POINT(GP)||CPxGP|
|Eco101||PRINCIPLES OF ECONOMICS 1||3||B||1||9|
|LSB104||BUSINESS INFORMATION SYSTEMS||3||A||2||12|
|ESP111||PSYCHOLOGICAL FOUNDATIONS OF EDUCATION||3||C||1.5||6|
|ASP102A||RELIGION IN AFRICA||3||A||2||12|
|GPA||CGPA: Total Credits||16||48|
|Total (CPxGP) |
Total CP= 3.2
|The sum of the product of credit points for a course (the course weighting)and the grade point for the course divided by the sum of the course weightings for all courses on the semester.|
In computing the Cumulative Grade Point Average (CPA), all the courses are treated as if they were taken in one semester.
Note: Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is not the same as the average of GPAs for the various semesters.
Undergraduate degree programmes are classified according to the candidate’s Cumulative Grade Point Average [CGPA]. The classifications are as follows:
|1st Class||3.6 – 4.0|
|2nd Class (Upper Division)||3.0 – 3.5|
|2nd Class (Lower Division)||2.5 – 2.9|
|3rd Class Division||2.0 – 2.4|
|Pass||1.0 – 1.9|
Transcript shall reflect all courses taken or attempted by the student (including audited courses), and the grades earned. Under no circumstance shall grades earned in a course be deleted from a student’s transcript.
For further details and clarification, kindly DROP YOUR COMMENT below and you will be attended to as soon as possible.