Legon, a suburb of the Ghanaian city Accra is situated about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) north-east of the city center in the Accra Metropolis District, a district in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana. Legon is home to the main campus of the University of Ghana. Ghanaians loosely refer to the University of Ghana simply as “Legon”. Legon is also home to a few of Ghana’s well known educational institutions such as Presbyterian Boys’ Secondary School (PRESEC-Legon), Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration and the Institute of Professional Studies.
The University of Ghana, the premier university in Ghana, was founded as the University College of the Gold Coast by Ordinance on August 11, 1948 for the purpose of providing and promoting university education, learning and research.
As a University poised to distinguish itself in the area of research to make an impact at the national and international level, the University launched a Strategic Plan in 2014. The strategic plan (2014-2024) is intended to consolidate the gains made from the review of the University’s mission and practices and situate these within the context of a very dynamic environment of higher education in Ghana and beyond. http://www.ug.edu.gh/pad/publication/ug-strategic-plan
Legon Campus: This is the main campus where most of the University’s teaching and research are carried out. It also houses the central administration of the University.
The Legon campus lies about 13 kilometres north-east of Accra, the capital of Ghana, at an altitude of between 300 and 400 feet. From the Main University Gate on the National Highway 4 (N4), the University Avenue extends to Commonwealth Hall on Legon Hill.
Halls of residence, departments, lecture theatres and laboratories are grouped along the Main Avenue. Mid-way is an open space – the University Square – with an ornamental fountain overlooking the Balme Library (named after David Mowbray Balme, the first Principal of the University College). Across from the University Square are sports fields, and halls of residence.
Behind Commonwealth Hall is an open-air theatre with a Grecian style auditorium built into the slope of Legon Hill. On the summit of Legon Hill is the Convocation Group of Buildings which houses the University’s central administration offices, the Great Hall, with a seating capacity of 1,500 and a tower donated by the Government of Ghana in 1957 to commemorate Ghana’s Independence.
On the southern side of the campus are residential accommodation for staff, the University Basic School, a Banking Square, the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research, School of Public Health, Sports Stadium, student residences and the University of Ghana Medical Centre.
On the Northern side are teaching departments, lecture theatres and laboratories. Across the N4 road from the Main University Gate is a Police Station, and behind it is a University Hospital and houses for junior and senior staff.
The university has its own elementary and middle schools known commonly as the University Primary and Junior Secondary School (UPS) and the University of Ghana Staff Village Basic School. Students who attend UPS school are predominantly kin to the lecturers and senior staff of the University of Ghana.